Data Collection and Retention
You are not required to provide any personal information to view the public areas of our Website. However, we may collect your name, mailing or billing address, telephone number, email address and credit card information to the extent the collection of such personal information is necessary when you engage in any of the following activities:
- Make a donation to the Organization
- Register for our email list
When you provide the Organization with your personal information, we may ask for your consent to use that information for the following additional purposes:
- Supply you with information, including, but not limited to, news, events and services related to the Organization
- Request volunteer time for, or monetary contributions to, the Organization
- Inform you about events and activities related to the Organizations mission
We will not use any personal information that you provide for one purpose (e.g., making a donation) for another purpose (i.e., supplying you with information related to the Organization) without your prior consent. Refusing consent to share the information for another purpose will not prevent your ability to provide the information for the originally intended purpose.
The Organization also uses the personal information you provide to us for legitimate internal purposes, such as completing and tracking your transaction, analyzing trends and collecting statistics or analytics to improve the services provided by the Organization. We will disclose your personal information to a third party only if we have previously notified you and obtained your consent and in accordance with that notification and consent, except as follows:
- To comply with applicable laws and lawful government or regulatory requests
- To operate our systems properly
- To protect the Organization and its members
The Organization may also compile and provide anonymized and/or pseudonymized, aggregate statistics about our visitors, donations, traffic patterns and related site information to third parties so that the Organization can improve the services it and those parties provide to the users of the website. We may also share anonymized and/or pseudonymized information with third-parties who help us analyze and understand our donor and membership base. Finally, we may also compile and display on the Website anonymized and/or pseudonymized, aggregate information to help display for our community the use and impact of the Website.
The Organization may also collect information that you provide us when you comment on posts, participate in message boards, and submit images, photos, videos, or other content to the services. We may ask you for additional information at other times.
We retain personal financial information that you provide only for so long as is necessary to provide the services for which we have obtained your consent and to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations.
We use encryption and security protocols (Secure Socket Layer-SSL) when processing financial transactions and storing or processing personal information. We store any personal information that we have collected on password-protected servers. We never store credit card numbers. We have and will educate staff members who have access to personal information about the importance of safeguarding your personal information. However, such precautions do not guarantee that our Website is invulnerable to security breaches. The Organization makes no warranty, guarantee or representation that the use of our Website is protected from viruses, security threats or other vulnerabilities or that your personal information will always be secure.
Standard Web Server Traffic Pattern Information and Third Parties // Google Analytics The Organization collects general traffic, site usage and length of stay information of those who visit the Website. This type of information is used to help the Organization improve the functionality of our Website. Such information is not linked to individual visitors.
Google Analytics is Google’s free web analytics tool that helps us to understand how our visitors engage with our Website. Google Analytics collects information anonymously and reports website trends without identifying individual visitors. Google Analytics uses its own set of cookies to track visitor interactions. These cookies are used to store information, such as what time the current visit occurred, whether the visitor has been to the site before, and what site referred the visitor to the web page. Google Analytics customers can view a variety of reports about how visitors interact with their website so they can improve their website and how people find it. A different set of cookies is used for each website, and visitors are not tracked across multiple sites. Google Analytics customers are obliged to notify users of their use of analytics software. To disable this type of cookie, some browsers will indicate when a cookie is being sent and allow you to decline cookies on a case-by-case basis. In addition to declining cookies, you can also install the Google Analytics opt-out add-on in your browser, which prevents Google Analytics from collecting information about your website visits. You can opt out by clicking here.
GDPR – Your Rights
Under the EU General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”), EU residents have a number of important rights. In summary, those include rights to:
- Fair processing of information and transparency over how we use your personal
- Access your personal information and certain other supplementary information that this
- Require the correction of any mistake in the personal information that we hold about you
- Require the erasure of personal information concerning you in certain situations
- Receive the personal information concerning you that you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and have the right to transmit that data to a third party in certain situations
- Object at any time to the processing of your personal information for direct marketing
- Object to decisions being taken by automated means that produce legal effects concerning you or similarly significantly affect you
- Object in certain other situations to our continued processing of your personal information
- Otherwise restrict our processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
If you would like to exercise any of those rights, please:
- Email us at [email protected];
- Provide enough information to identify you (e.g., name, email address);
- Provide proof of your identity and address (a copy of your driver’s license or passport
and a recent utility or credit card bill); and
- Provide the information to which your request relates.
You have the right, at any time, to lodge a complaint about the processing activities of your personal information by us with the applicable Information Commissioner’s Office, or other competent supervisory authority.
After providing your initial consent, if you subsequently do not wish to receive additional promotional e-newsletters, e-mail messages, or e-mail or postal mailings about the Organization’s programs, please inform us by e-mailing [email protected].
Notification of Changes
I AM ALS
155 N. Wacker Dr., Suite 2700
Chicago, IL 60606
Email: [email protected]