ALS Support Team Terms of Service
Last Modified: March 25, 2021
Acceptance of the Terms of Services
These terms of service are entered into by and between the person accessing I AM ALS’s ALS Support Team program (“ALS Support Team”) and I AM ALS (“I AM ALS, “we” or “us”). These terms of service govern users’ access to and use of ALS Support Team, including any content, functionality, and services offered therein. Such users may be referred to as “you” herein.
Description of Service
The ALS Support Team is a program that offers support to patients, families, and caregivers to help overcome barriers in the health system and facilitate timely access to supportive care. ALS Support Team is designed to be a community-based program that is intended to empower patients and their families with relevant medical and research information, support them emotionally, connect them with practical resources, and help them build a community around them. Our program is staffed by social workers and registered nurses who can be called or emailed if you are a patient, caregiver, loved one or surviving loved one affected by ALS.
Accessing the Service
ALS Support Team is a national program servicing adult (18 years of age or older) ALS patients, caregivers, and loved ones who are caring or cared for ALS patients in the U.S. Eligible individuals may contact the ALS Support Team by phone, an online intake form, live web chat or email during business hours (9am-5pm CST Monday-Friday). If you are under the age of 18, please do not access the ALS Support Team (and doing so is a violation of these terms of service).
I AM ALS, including the ALS Support Team, is not a healthcare or medical service provider; I AM ALS does not provide medical advice, services, guidance or recommendations. As such, any information received from I AM ALS staff members, or seen on the I AM ALS website or its social media channels, should not be interpreted as medical advice. Individuals should consult with a licensed health care provider not employed by I AM ALS before making any decisions that may impact their health.
We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information provided through the ALS Support Team (whether such information is provided by I AM ALS or third parties); all such information is made available solely for general information purposes. Any reliance placed on such information is strictly at a user’s own risk. We disclaim all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on such materials by users of the ALS Support Team, or by anyone who may be informed of any of its contents.
The ALS Support Team may include content provided by third parties, including materials provided by other third-party licensors, syndicators, aggregators, and/or reporting services. All statements and/or opinions expressed in these materials, and all articles and responses to questions and other content are solely the opinions and the responsibility of the person or entity providing those materials. These materials do not necessarily reflect the opinion of I AM ALS. We are not responsible, or liable to any user or other third party, for the content or accuracy of any materials provided by any third parties.
I AM ALS will not accept any medical test results or other medical or clinical documents. Any medical test results or other medical or clinical documents sent to I AM ALS digitally or via post will be immediately destroyed and no record of it will be kept.
I AM ALS does not provide financial aid or relief, advice or recommendations regarding any insurance-related issues, legal advice, or employment assistance.
Any content you submit through any I AM ALS channel, such as the website, social media channels, emails, over the phone or through post, is done so voluntarily.
Consent to Electronic Communications
By using the website or the ALS Support Team, users agree to receive electronic communications from us, but we include information in each commercial email that allows you to stop receiving future communications.
Changes to Terms of Service
I AM ALS reserves the right, at our discretion, to revise and update the terms of service at any time. All such changes are effective immediately when we post them, and apply to all access to and use of the ALS Support Team thereafter. All changes are effective immediately upon posting, and apply to all access to and use of the ALS Support Team and any I AM ALS service thereafter. Users are expected to check for updates to the terms of service from time to time so that they stay aware of any changes, as they are binding on users. If I AM ALS materially change the terms of service, I AM ALS will also include a notice on the ALS Support Team home page, with a link to such changes. Continued use of the ALS Support Team and any I AM ALS service following the posting of revised terms of service indicates you have accepted and agree to the changes.
Intellectual Property Rights
The ALS Support Team and its entire contents, features, and functionality (including but not limited to all information, software, text, displays, images, video, and audio, and the design, selection, and arrangement thereof) are owned by I AM ALS our licensors, or other providers, and are protected by United States and international copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, and other intellectual property or proprietary rights laws.
These terms of service permit you to use the ALS Support Team for your personal, non-commercial use only. You must not reproduce, distribute, modify, create derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, republish, download, store, or transmit any of the material on the ALS Support Team, except as follows:
- Your computer may temporarily store copies of such materials in RAM incidental to your accessing and viewing those materials.
- You may store files that are automatically cached by your Web browser for display enhancement purposes.
- You may print, or download (if applicable), one copy of a reasonable number of pages of materials on the ALS Support Team for your own personal, non-commercial use and not for further reproduction, publication, or distribution without our prior written permission.
You must not:
- Modify copies of any materials from the ALS Support Team.
- Use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences, or any graphics separately from the accompanying text (as permitted above).
- Delete or alter any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary rights notices from copies of materials from this site (as permitted above).
You must not access or use for any commercial purposes any part of the ALS Support Team or any services or materials available through the ALS Support Team.
If you wish to make any use of material on the ALS Support Team other than that set out in this section, please address your request to: [email protected]
If you print, copy, modify, download, or otherwise use or provide any other person with access to any part of the ALS Support Team in breach of the terms of service, your right to use the ALS Support Team will stop immediately and you must, at our option, promptly return or destroy any copies of the materials you have made. No right, title, or interest in or to the ALS Support Team or any content on the ALS Support Team is transferred to you, and all rights not expressly granted are reserved by us. Any use of the ALS Support Team not expressly permitted by these terms of service is a breach of these terms of service and may violate copyright, trademark, and other laws.
The term I AM ALS, and all related names, logos and slogans are trademarks of ours. You must not use such marks without our prior written permission. All other names, logos, product and service names, designs, and slogans on the ALS Support Team are the trademarks of their respective owners.
You may use the ALS Support Team for lawful purposes and in accordance with these terms of service. You agree not to use the ALS Support Team:
- In any way that violates any applicable federal, state, local, or international law or regulation.
- For the purpose of exploiting, harming, or attempting to exploit or harm people, including minors, in any way by exposing them to inappropriate content, asking for personally identifiable information, or otherwise.
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any advertising or promotional material, including any “junk mail,” “chain letter,” “spam,” or any other similar solicitation.
- To impersonate or attempt to impersonate us, another user, or any other person or entity.
- To engage in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits anyone’s use or enjoyment of the ALS Support Team, or which, as determined by us, may harm us or users of the ALS Support Team, or expose us or them to liability.
Additionally, you agree not to:
- Use the ALS Support Team in any manner that could disable, overburden, damage, or impair the site or program, or interfere with any other party’s use of the ALS Support Team, including their ability to engage in real time activities through the ALS Support Team.
- Use any robot, spider, or other automatic device, process, or means to access the ALS Support Team for any purpose, including monitoring or copying any of the material on the ALS Support Team.
- Use any manual process to monitor or copy any of the material on the ALS Support Team, or for any other purpose not expressly authorized in these terms of service, without our prior written consent.
- Use any device, software, or routine that interferes with the proper working of the ALS Support Team.
- Introduce any viruses, Trojan horses, worms, logic bombs, or other material that is malicious or technologically harmful.
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to, interfere with, damage, or disrupt any parts of the ALS Support Team, the server on which the ALS Support Team and any related data are stored, or any server, computer, or database connected to the ALS Support Team.
- Attack the ALS Support Team via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of-service attack.
- Otherwise attempt to interfere with the proper working of the ALS Support Team.
We have the right to:
- Take appropriate legal action, including without limitation, referral to law enforcement, for any illegal or unauthorized use of the ALS Support Team.
- Terminate or suspend your access to all or part of the ALS Support Team for any or no reason, including without limitation, any violation of these terms of service.
YOU WAIVE AND HOLD US HARMLESS FROM ANY CLAIMS RESULTING FROM ANY ACTION TAKEN BY US DURING, OR TAKEN AS A CONSEQUENCE OF, INVESTIGATIONS BY EITHER US OR LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES.
Linking to the ALS Support Team and Social Media Features
The ALS Support Team may provide certain social media features that enable you to:
- Link from your own or certain third-party websites to certain content on the ALS Support Team.
- Send emails or other communications with certain content, or links to certain content, on the ALS Support Team.
- Cause limited portions of content on the ALS Support Team to be displayed or appear to be displayed on your own or certain third-party websites.
Users may use these features solely as they are provided by I AM ALS, and solely with respect to the content they are displayed with, and otherwise in accordance with any additional terms and conditions we provide with respect to such features. Subject to the foregoing, you must not:
- Establish a link from any website that is not owned by you.
- Cause the ALS Support Team or portions of it to be displayed on, or appear to be displayed by, any other site, for example, framing, deep linking, or in-line linking without our prior written permission.
- Otherwise take any action with respect to the materials on the ALS Support Team that is inconsistent with any other provision of these terms of service.
You agree to cooperate with us in causing any unauthorized framing or linking immediately to stop. We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
We may disable all or any social media features and any links at any time without notice at our discretion.
Links from the ALS Support Team
If the ALS Support Team contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your convenience only. This includes links contained in advertisements, including banner advertisements and sponsored links. We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources, and accept no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them. If you decide to access any of the third-party websites linked to the ALS Support Team, you do so entirely at your own risk and subject to the terms and conditions of use for such websites.
We are incorporated in the State of Illinois in the United States and headquartered in Washington, D.C. We provide the ALS Support Team for use only by persons located in and operating in the United States. We make no claims that the ALS Support Team or any of its content is accessible or appropriate outside of the United States. If you access the ALS Support Team from outside the United States, you do so on your own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws.
Disclaimer of Warranties
You understand that we cannot and do not guarantee or warrant that files available for downloading from the internet or the ALS Support Team will be free of viruses or other destructive code. You are responsible for implementing sufficient procedures and checkpoints to satisfy your particular requirements for anti-virus protection and accuracy of data input and output, and for maintaining a means external to our site for any reconstruction of any lost data. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PROVIDED BY LAW, WE WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY A DISTRIBUTED DENIAL-OF-SERVICE ATTACK, VIRUSES, OR OTHER TECHNOLOGICALLY HARMFUL MATERIAL THAT MAY INFECT YOUR COMPUTER EQUIPMENT, COMPUTER PROGRAMS, DATA, OR OTHER PROPRIETARY MATERIAL DUE TO YOUR USE OF THE ALS SUPPORT TEAM OR ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE ALS SUPPORT TEAM, OR TO YOUR DOWNLOADING OF ANY MATERIAL POSTED ON IT, OR ON ANY WEBSITE LINKED TO IT.
YOUR USE OF THE ALS SUPPORT TEAM, ITS CONTENT, AND ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE ALS SUPPORT TEAM IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE ALS SUPPORT TEAM, ITS CONTENT, AND ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE ALS SUPPORT TEAM ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. NEITHER US NOR ANY PERSON ASSOCIATED WITH US MAKES ANY WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION WITH RESPECT TO THE COMPLETENESS, SECURITY, RELIABILITY, QUALITY, ACCURACY, OR AVAILABILITY OF THE ALS SUPPORT TEAM. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, NEITHER US NOR ANYONE ASSOCIATED WITH US REPRESENTS OR WARRANTS THAT THE ALS SUPPORT TEAM, ITS CONTENT, OR ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE ALS SUPPORT TEAM, WILL BE ACCURATE, RELIABLE, ERROR-FREE, OR UNINTERRUPTED, THAT DEFECTS WILL BE CORRECTED, THAT OUR SITE OR THE SERVER THAT MAKES IT AVAILABLE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS, OR THAT THE ALS SUPPORT TEAM, OR ANY SERVICES OR ITEMS OBTAINED THROUGH THE ALS SUPPORT TEAM, WILL OTHERWISE MEET YOUR NEEDS OR EXPECTATIONS.
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PROVIDED BY LAW, WE HEREBY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY, OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
THE FOREGOING DOES NOT AFFECT ANY WARRANTIES THAT CANNOT BE EXCLUDED OR LIMITED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.
Limitation on Liability
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PROVIDED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL I AM ALS, OUR PARTNERS, EMPLOYEES, CONTRACTORS, VOLUNTEERS, AGENTS, OFFICERS, OR DIRECTORS BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, UNDER ANY LEGAL THEORY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR USE, OR INABILITY TO USE, THE ALS SUPPORT TEAM, ANY WEBSITES LINKED TO IT, ANY CONTENT ON THE ALS SUPPORT TEAM OR SUCH OTHER WEBSITES, INCLUDING ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PERSONAL INJURY, PAIN AND SUFFERING, EMOTIONAL DISTRESS, LOSS OF REVENUE, LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF BUSINESS OR ANTICIPATED SAVINGS, LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF GOODWILL, LOSS OF DATA, AND WHETHER CAUSED BY TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF FORESEEABLE.
THE FOREGOING DOES NOT AFFECT ANY LIABILITY THAT CANNOT BE EXCLUDED OR LIMITED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.
You agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless us, its affiliates, partners, licensors, and service providers, and our and their respective officers, directors, employees, contractors, agents, licensors, suppliers, successors, and assigns from and against any claims, liabilities, damages, judgments, awards, losses, costs, expenses, or fees (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising out of or relating to your violation of the terms of service or your use of the ALS Support Team, including, but not limited to any use of the ALS Support Team’s content, services, and products other than as expressly authorized in these terms of service, or your use of any information obtained from the ALS Support Team.
Governing Law and Jurisdiction
All matters relating to the ALS Support Team, and these terms of service, and any dispute or claim arising therefrom or related thereto (in each case, including non-contractual disputes or claims), shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of Illinois without giving effect to any choice or conflict of law provision or rule (whether of the State of Illinois or any other jurisdiction).
Any legal suit, action, or proceeding arising out of, or related to, these terms of service or the ALS Support Team shall be instituted exclusively in the federal courts of the United States or the courts of the State of Illinois, in each case located in the City of Chicago, although we retain the right to bring any suit, action, or proceeding against you for breach of these terms of service in your country of residence or any other relevant country. You hereby waive any and all objections to the exercise of jurisdiction over you by such courts and to venue in such courts.
At our sole discretion, we may require you to submit any disputes arising from these terms of service or use of the ALS Support Team, including disputes arising from or concerning their interpretation, violation, invalidity, non-performance, or termination, to final and binding arbitration to be held in Chicago, Illinois under the Rules of Arbitration of the American Arbitration Association applying Illinois law.
Limitation on Time to File Claims
ANY CAUSE OF ACTION OR CLAIM YOU MAY HAVE ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THESE TERMS OF SERVICE OR the ALS Support Team MUST BE COMMENCED WITHIN ONE (1) YEAR AFTER THE CAUSE OF ACTION ACCRUES; OTHERWISE, SUCH CAUSE OF ACTION OR CLAIM IS PERMANENTLY BARRED.
Waiver and Severability
No waiver by us of any term or condition set out in these terms of service shall be deemed a further or continuing waiver of such term or condition or a waiver of any other term or condition, and any failure by us to assert a right or provision under these terms of service shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision.
If any provision of these terms of service is held by a court or other tribunal of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, illegal, or unenforceable for any reason, such provision shall be eliminated or limited to the minimum extent such that the remaining provisions of the terms of service will continue in full force and effect.
Your Comments and Concerns
This program is operated by:
I AM ALS
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, #14135
Washington, DC 20044
Any feedback, comments, requests for technical support, and other communications relating to the ALS Support Team should be directed to: [email protected].